8/27/2009

French breakfast Puffs


I was looking for a new recipe to make for the kids for breakfast this week. It is their first week of school and I am trying to send them off with a homemade breakfast (at least for this week!) I needed to find something I could make fast and something everyone would like. Wow! This recipe is just what I was looking for! My kids devoured them and then fought over them after school. They have already requested them again. I love it when I find a winner!


French Breakfast Puffs

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg
1/2 cup milk

topping
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
6 tbls. melted butter

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease your muffin pans. I made 24 mini-muffins, but you could make regular muffins instead.

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, cream together the sugar and shortening. Add the egg and mix well. Stir the flour mixture into the shortening mixture alternately with the milk.

Spoon the mixture into your muffin pan. I used a large spoon to drop the batter into my new $4 pan from Wal-mart! I LOVE mini muffins! Bake the muffins for approximately 15 minutes, or until they are golden on top and a toothpick comes out clean. Just watch your oven.

While the muffins are baking, melt the butter in a bowl. In a separate bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon for the topping. When the muffins are done baking, remove them from the pan and immediately dip them into the butter...

and then into the cinnamon-sugar mixture. They were so hot & smelled so good!

Serve them warm with a side of scrambled eggs. Delicious. I think I am making them again in the morning.

5 comments:

  1. I fully intend to try this. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so yummy!! I'm going to try these, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made these twice now! They are a BIG hit at our house! The boys devour them. Thanks for sharing your yummy recipes.

    Raimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! But I twist them. I sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on them before I put them in the oven. Sometimes I do it in the muffing pan on the bottom, and then on the top of the muffin. That way I am not adding any extra fat(butter) to the muffins. And they taste just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I like less calories!

    ReplyDelete