8/03/2009

Panukakku



Yeah, it's a funny name. This recipe is also known as mock waffles & german pancakes. But we call it this because my brother-in-law taught us the Finnish name. We thought it was funny and it has stuck.

My kids LOVE this dish. Honestly, there was a time a while back when I refused to make it anymore because I was so tired of it. They would ask for it everyday - and for every meal. I probably shouldn't complain, it is really easy to make. It takes about 5 minutes to whip it together and 20 to cook. Not bad!

Here is how you make it -

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. While you are pre-heating, melt 1/4 cup (I use a little less) of butter in a 9x13 pan.
Beat together -
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
3 Tbls. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

It is okay if it is the batter is lumpy, mine always is! When the butter has melted in the pan, remove it from the oven.

Pour the batter into the pan with the melted butter and bake for 20 minutes.

The best part of this dish is watching the batter rise as it cooks. You should end up with some really high sides - my kids fight over them! We love to eat it with some strawberry freezer jam and powdered sugar, Yum!

9 comments:

  1. that looks so yummy! We'll have to try this ... soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that my mom used to make something very similar to this when I was young. In fact, it might even be the same thing. I had forgotten about it until recently and I had no idea what it was called. I remember loving it. I'm really glad you shared this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, really Amy. You know Laura Leigh and Angie Stohl in my ward? That is so awesome. They told me about your bake shop and I am beyond excited. In fact I am going to be a follower. I miss your guts and love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make something similar but add some frozen OJ concentrate and serve with canned peaches and sprinkle powdered sugar on top. OH SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We make this exact thing, but in Norwegian it is EggKaka. So tasty & the easiest thing ever to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was delicious! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How many servings does this make?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've been eating this since I was in High School and I now have kids in High School. If you cook it a little longer than 20 minutes, sometimes the middle gets really puffy also. I've never put sugar in mine either. They are good for every possible occasion. Try using a muffin/cupcake tin and doing mini "cakes" for a fun dessert.

    ReplyDelete