5/25/2010

Rocky Road Chocolate Cake


My mom emailed me this recipe a couple months ago and I put it in my file of new things to try. I was completely intrigued by a crock pot cake. And this one had so many yummy things in it, mainly lots of chocolate! I am a crock pot fan, so I knew this was my kind of cake.

I am so glad I tried it! It was so good. It had a really fudgey (is that a word?) texture, which I love. It was warm, gooey and soft. I wasn't sure how much it would make because the batter didn't seem like much when I put it in the crock pot. But it cooked up to the very top! This cake will feed quite a crowd - and make them happy!

Rocky Road Chocolate Cake

1 package German chocolate cake mix
1 3.9-oz. package chocolate instant pudding mix
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups milk, divided
1 3.4-oz. package chocolate cook-and-serve pudding mix
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Vanilla ice cream (optional)

Beat the cake mix, instant pudding, eggs, sour cream, butter, vanilla and 1 1/4 cups of milk for about 2 minutes until mixed well. Spray the crock pot with Pam and pour the batter in.

Heat remaining 2 cups milk in a heavy non-aluminum saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, 3-5 minutes or just until bubbles appear (do not boil); remove from heat.

Sprinkle cook-and serve pudding mix over batter. Slowly pour the hot milk over pudding so that it stays on top of the batter. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 1/2 hours.

Turn off your beautiful green crock pot and sprinkle the cake with walnuts, marshmallows, and chocolate morsels. Put the cover back on and let it stand 15 minutes or until marshmallows are slightly melted. Spoon the cake into dessert dishes, and serve with ice cream.


The cake may look like it is not completely done, but it if the top is set, then it is done. And it is great!

2 comments:

  1. Oh YUM! Stopping by from JAG - so glad I did! I'm already making big weekend plans for this and that guac salsa!

    ReplyDelete