6/30/2009

Kahlua Pork

I have been getting some requests for my new favorite recipe. I guess I have been talking about it a lot lately. But it is so good, I crave it all the time! The best thing is how easy it is to make. It takes some time and preparations, but it is pretty easy. I make it with a really yummy rice recipe I got from Our Best Bites blog - the only difference is I add a little coconut in the rice too. I cut up a fresh pineapple and make some Coconut rolls (in my next post!) and done! Delicious!
6 pound pork roast
Sea salt
1 Tbsp. liquid smoke
1 bag of shredded cabbage

The first thing I do is cut off as much of the fat off the roast as possible. It is so much easier to cut fat off the roast when it is frozen or cold than when it is warm. When you have gotten as much of the fat off the roast, pierce it all over with a large fork or knife. Rub the Sea salt into the meat with your hands. Then, do the same thing with the liquid smoke. Rub it in as good as you can & if you think it needs a little more, then add some more! Place the roast into the crock pot. You will want to do this the night before you are planning to eat - this meat needs to cook on low for about 20 hours!

After 20 hours, remove the meat and shred it with a couple forks and then return to the crock pot. In the meantime, strain the liquid to get rid of the "floaties" and then pour it back over the shredded meat.

About an half hour before serving, add the bag of cabbage and mix with the meat. I love the cabbage, it adds just the right texture to the pork.

I hope this pork makes you think of your last luau!

4 comments:

  1. Eric has been talking about this meal ever since he was there. I need to make it for him now. For sure add the recipe for your rolls. He loved that whole meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my family's favorites also! My sister makes it every time she visits...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy! I'm so glad you do a blog like this- it's nice to have someone you trust put out some yummy recipes! We had the elders over for dinner tonight and decided to give this a try with the rolls... everyone LOVED it. Super easy! Can't wait to see what you post next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although it sounds similar,the real Hawaiian word is Kalua, not KaHlua for this pork dish.

    ReplyDelete