6/17/2009

Surprise Peanut Butter Balls

I was on the hunt the other day for something that let me use my powdered milk I had in my food storage.  I had a box that was going to expire soon, and I am tired of it going bad without being used.  But really, I don't drink milk.  And powdered milk just isn't my thing.  Then I remembered seeing a recipe once for a little snack ball (yes, I love to study recipes).  I couldn't find it anymore, so I made it up.  And I have got to say, they turned out great!  I am having a hard time resisting them.
The best thing about this recipe is, you use what is in your pantry.  But, if you planned ahead you could make it pretty healthy without anyone knowing (hence, the "surprise" in the title).  This is what I used...

1 cup Honey
3 cups Peanut Butter
3/4 cup Grape Nuts cereal
1/2 cup Applesauce
1 cup Coconut
1 cup Chocolate Chips
1 cup crushed Corn Flake Cereal
6 Tbls. Powdered Milk
bowl full of crushed Graham Crackers (about 10 full crackers)


Throw all the ingredients except for the powdered milk into the mixer and blend well.  

Then add the powdered milk and mix until it looks like the picture above.  Using a regular spoon, shape dough into little balls.

Roll the balls in the crushed graham cracker crumbs.  You can see that I left mine a little chunky, I wanted to be able to taste the cracker too!

Next time I am planning ahead and going to make them with Bran cereal and some other good for you goodies hidden inside.  When you are done, you can pop them into the freezer or keep them in the fridge.  I put mine in the freezer and they defrost & are ready to eat in about a minute!  Sooo good!  Cold and peanut butter - perfect combination.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome idea! Can I put in a special request for your chocolate cake recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new blog Amy! I'll let you know how your recipes turn out at my house soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another 'goody' to add to the surprise -- wheat germ and/or flax meal. I even roll mine in wheat germ sometimes. The kids don't know what hit them! Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :ove the new recipe blog. This is like the recipe I was telling you about at http://mykitchencafe.blogspot.com/2009/01/peanut-butter-crunch-snack-balls.html

    Can you post your recipe for the crock pot pork?

    ReplyDelete